5.15.2008

Making Yogurt

I decided to try making my own yogurt this morning since the prices have gone up so much. Well, really since I thought it would be fun. Because, truthfully, the $2 per quart I am saving by making my own yogurt, is CERTAINLY being spent on other "unnecessary" items. If I had to choose between yogurt and Diet Pepsi, chocolate, or shoes, I think we all know what I wouldn't be choosing.

  • I heated 1 gallon of milk with 1 packet of Knox unflavored gelatine to 185 degrees
  • While that was heating, I put a jar of boiling water in a cooler to warm it up
  • When the milk reached 185 degrees, I took it off the stove and set the pan into a sink full of cold water
  • When the temperature decreased to 120 degrees, I added 1 cup Dannon plain yogurt and stirred it well.
  • I then put the milk mixture into 3 plastic containers and put them into the styrofoam cooler with a new jar of boiling water to keep the temperature at around 110 degrees.
  • I let it sit for 8 hours.
  • Tastes just like store bought! (I sound like a hick!)(I AM a hick!- I just made my own yogurt)

4 comments:

Becky said...

Wow....I've always wondered how yogurt was made. I'll have to give that a try. My girls are yogurt eating machines. Have you ever added fruit?

I'm sorry I haven't been to your blog in awhile. I've been having computer issues and have gotten way behind in my blog reading. : )

Becky

Janice said...

could one add blueberries? would that change the required temperature of the cooler? Speaking of coolers - there was a bit of an oxymoron in your post - you mentioned the need to keep the yogurt "warm" in the "cooler". One would normally keep things cool in a cooler, and warm in a warmer ... it appears that one might also be able to keep something cool in a warmer - i wonder if that is possible too, and would you just use a jar of frozen water for that?

Please enlighten

Mitt said...

I notice that you used yogurt in your recipe to make yogurt - I am curious what the first person to make yogurt used ...

Mindi said...

i can't decide if this is a joke or not....okay, not.
what the h??? that looks like WAAAAAAAAAY too much effort for mindi.

you are making us slacker moms look bad, sister!