3.17.2008

Letter to Lawmakers

Dear Senators Coleman and Klobuchar, Congressmen Walz, Kline, Ramstad, McCollum, Ellison, Bachmann, Peterson, and President George W. Bush:

I realize that what I am writing may be a little out of the ordinary, but please read this with an open mind, think outside the box, and outside the realm of possibilities you've previously given thought to. I am not a crazy rebel. I am a 37 year-old married mother of 5, with a college degree, and a mortgage. I want something new, something I didn't think possible. I want an adventure. The adventure I speak of is one that Americans in the past were afforded, and I believe new Americans should be afforded the same opportunities. Which brings me to New America.

According to the most recent forecasts, Russia's population of 143 million people is expected to decrease by 22 percent between now and the year 2050. If the figures are borne out, Russia could lose up to 42 percent of its active working population in a huge country covering over 17 million square km, (which is 1.8 times larger than the U.S.)* On the other hand, the United States has an estimated current population of 303 million, and growing.** Since we have over twice the number of people in nearly half the space, I think our government needs to purchase or lease a plot of land in Russia, and send over a colony! If you look on the map, you'll see where I am proposing our new colony be located. I have chosen this spot because of low population density (0-1 people per square km), plenty of precipitation, and natural resources such as gold and oil.*** You'll notice we also would have water access, which will also be critical to our growing colony for importing/exporting purposes.

I believe a colony like New America would be beneficial to both the United States and Russia. Not only would it be a bridge of peace, but with Russia's decreasing work force, it would provide a shot in the arm of educated/skilled and industrious workers. We could help Russia become a prosperous and economically-sound country like we have built America to be, while also providing room to grow for pioneers willing to take that step of faith.

Please don't discard this letter right away, but mull over it awhile. Think not that it CAN'T happen, but HOW can we MAKE it happen? Also, if this all works out, if I could have a Land Rover Defender to get around in while I'm over there?

Very Sincerely,



Stephanie M.

*http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2006-03/2006-03-08-voa29.cfm
**http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en
***http://maps.howstuffworks.com/russia-topographic-map.htm

2 comments:

Mindi said...

i'm torn between wanting to be part of new america--but only because i want a new land rover, too. if that can't be thrown in to sweeten the deal, then i think i'm OUT.
i think they should give this a shot, though--nice.

Stephanie M said...

Thank you for your vote of confidence! I sent my letters out yesterday and plan to post the responses. It should be good for a chuckle or two (both for me and the politicians receiving my letters)...

BTW - unfortunately I don't think they have US Weekly in the area I've selected. I just want to be ABSOLUTELY up front with the hardship conditions BEFORE you commit.