3.07.2008

Way to go, BUSTER!

LONDON - Already Britain’s oldest employee, 101-year-old Buster Martin now aims to become the world’s oldest marathon runner by completing the London Marathon and celebrating with a pint of beer and a cigarette.

Sprightly and bearded, he completed a half marathon at the weekend in five hours 13 minutes. The former Army physical training instructor works three days a week for a London plumbing firm and says he has trained for the April 13th race in his spare time.


I don't have any aspirations to live to be 101 and if I do, be happy about it! BUT, I would love to be healthy and able-bodied through the years that I have - which is why Buster is so inspiring to me. If you say to yourself "I can't run" - I want to you read this article and re-evaluate! I think what people are saying when they say they can't run is: I don't think I can run as fast as other people, so why should I try if I can't be good at it?

I am not a fast runner. I am slow. I am overweight. I sometimes even have conversations with the sweeper who brings up the back of the race to make sure a runner (or skier) isn't left out on the course. My pride does get beat up a bit when this happens - I am not made of stone, after all. BUT, I want to be able to exercise when I am 85, so I trudge on.

2 comments:

Mindi said...

holy cow!! your blog is WAY more put together than mine! impressive you can do that in so little time--your kids are adorable--i had no idea you adopted? i am glad you are doing this, now i can add you to my links!

Stephanie M said...

hmm - not so impressive when you realize I am not paying attention to my kids! :( But thank you! You started it!