8.27.2009

The Office: More Reality Than First Expected

While watching the fourth season of The Office on my blackberry this week, I came across a connection that stopped me in my proverbial tracks. I realize that history repeats itself - blah blah blah. But this is uncanny. All the time I've been thinking The Office was a spoof on reality shows, and now it is quite clear to me. The Office is a reality show that makes fun of spoofs on reality shows.

Here is a peice of dialog from the 4th season, 1st episode, taped July 18, 2007*:


Michael Scott: Ladies and gentlemen, I have some bad news. Meredith was hit by a car. It happened this morning in the parking lot. I took her to the hospital and the doctors tried to save her.. life.. they did the best that they could.... and she is going to be OK.
Stanley: What is wrong with you? Why did you have to phrase it like that?
Oscar: So she's really going to be fine?
Michael Scott: Yes, she has a slight pelvical fracture, but people have survived far worse.
Pam: Thank God you were there.
Michael Scott: I know.
Andy Bernard: Did you see who did it?
Dwight Schrute: No need. We can just check the security tapes.
Michael Scott: Kind of good news bad news there. I was able to be on the scene so quickly because I was in the car that hit her.
Jim Halpert: Who was driving?
[Michael pauses and is speechless]
Pam: Oh Michael.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in complaining about a speed bump on the highway. I wonder who he ran over then?
Dwight Schrute: It's only Meredith.
Michael Scott: Yeah, it's only Meredith, thank God. But did you see the way they looked at me? Like I was a murderer or something.
Dwight Schrute: Hey... why did you do it?
Michael Scott: It was an accident.
Dwight Schrute: Was she talking back?
Michael Scott: No
Dwight Schrute: You got sick of that face? Did she owe you money? Uh-oh, is this downsizing? Did she spurn your advances?

Michael Scott: I love my employees. Even though I hit one of you with my car. For which I take full responsibility. Look I'm just trying to take everybody's mind off this unavoidable tragedy and on to more positive things. So I thought we should plant a tree.
Michael Scott: Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I don't know... I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me... that's the opposite of the point I'm trying to make.


Also this week, in the face of the death of Senator Ted Kennedy, I found this little piece of old news. I think when you read it, you'll see my point about The Office:

On July 18, 1969, Kopechne attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island, off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, held in honor of the Boiler Room Girls. It was the fourth such reunion of the Robert Kennedy campaign workers.[11]

Mary Jo Kopechne reportedly left the party at 11:15 p.m. with Robert's brother Ted Kennedy, after he — according to his own account — offered to drive her to catch the last ferry back to Edgartown, where she was staying.[6] She did not tell her close friends at the party that she was leaving and she left her purse and keys behind.[6]

Kennedy stated he made a wrong turn on the way and came upon a narrow, unlit bridge without guardrails. Kennedy drove the 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 off the bridge and it overturned in the water. Kennedy extricated himself from the submerged car but Kopechne died, after what Kennedy said were several diving attempts to free her.[6]

Kennedy contacted several aides that night, but failed to report the incident to the authorities until the car and Kopechne's body were discovered the next morning.[6] Kopechne's parents said that they learned of their daughter's death from Ted Kennedy himself[1] before he reported his involvement to the authorities, but that they learned Kennedy had been the driver only from wire press releases some time later.[4]

Later, it was reported that Kennedy planted a tree in Kopechne's honor.*


*I did give myself just a tiny bit of poetic license for this article, but the rest is real!

3 comments:

The Bee said...

Good to have you back - I was afraid you had been kidnapped.

I remember that episode of The Office - it was brilliant!

Stacie's Madness said...

i love the office.

FishHawk said...

"No Cleaning Here" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope you like the image I featured, and I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2009/09/sites-to-see_25.html