4.08.2008

New America on the Line

After not hearing back from any of the 7 congressmen, 2 senators, or the President of the United States that I contacted March 17 about my idea for a new American colony in Russia, I summoned up the courage to call one of them on the phone yesterday. This is how it went down:

Me: May I speak to Senator Coleman?
Them: May I ask what it is in regard to?
m: Yes, I wrote a letter several weeks ago asking about starting a new colony in Russia, and just haven't heard back yet from him.
t: No, I can tell you right now, they don't respond to ridiculous letters like that.
m: I don't really feel that it was ridiculous. I wrote it with sincerity and felt that it was an idea with some merit.
t: If the Senator spent his time responding to every off-the-wall letter like yours, he would be unable to tend to more important matters such as passing legislation.
m: Did he mention the letter to you?
t: No, he did not
m: He didn't mention a Land Rover Defender, by any chance?
t: No, he did not
m: Will you let Norm know that if the colony doesn't work out, that I would still really appreciate the Land Rover Defender?
t: Good-Bye. (click)
m: Good...Bye

I am wondering at this point if I should just give up and be thankful that at least I have no regrets because I TRIED, which is much better than having this amazing idea then not doing anything about it. Its just the agony of defeat that I have a difficult time with.

3 comments:

Linda said...

You have got to be the funniest person I know. Steph - you never cease to amaze me. I would have asked you if you really called them but I am pretty positive that you did. So, I am just wondering what the next step is and what will you do with all your free time now that you are not starting a country?

Jocelyn said...

girl you and I should save our money there is a great place near my house called TLC and they sell souped up vintage land rover defenders!

Let's get one and we can split custody!

~J

~Kim said...

this is the funniest thing I have read of yours....i can't stop laughing and thaddeus is getting impatient because i just keep laughing.