4.27.2009

Bane of My Existence


The pencil sharpener may seem non-important to you, but to me, its something we use every day. So much so that the sound of the pencil sharpener has become irritating. The sight of a broken pencil lead after spending 2 minutes trying to sharpen it is maddening. But an important discovery was made today:

The old-fashioned large pencil sharpener on the right is best for hard leaded pencils. The more convenient fancy battery powered pencil sharpener is best for soft leaded pencils. And the small hand held pencil sharpener, which mom can't hear, is the best for any occasion - but seems to get easily lost.

This topic may seem trivial, but I think if you look closely at this next picture, you'll see that the sharpened pencil may have an important part in world history, and may in fact, not be so trivial after all:

3 comments:

Grégoire said...

The one stable aspect of American elementary schools was the pencil sharpener. It was always bolted to some quiet corner out of sight, usually in the back or to the side of the classroom. Whether in the clapboard shotgun shack on stilts where my Louisiana second grade class met, or in the ultramodern glass and steel structure I served a sentence at in Las Vegas, the shadowy pencil sharpener alcove was the one constant refuge away from teacher and student, where I could daydream at my leisure.

Thus I learned very early in life always to have at hand a huge, rubberbanded logjam of pencils in my desk. On days when I was particularly bored, I would wander slowly back to the sharpener with my forearm-sized, fist-busting chunk of wood and graphite, slowly removing one pencil, honing it carefully to a needle point, replacing it carefully and sliding the next out to repeat the process. I was careful to slowly remove the outer cover which held the shavings, dumping them carefully in the (always strategically placed) wastepaper bin at my feet, and sometimes after doing so I'd start over from scratch.

Bane of your existence, saviour of my own childhood... I'll always love the sweet grinding chug-chug-chug of the manual pencil sharpener. It got me out of many a trip to the blackboard, that...

SiouxsieQ said...

What I've noticed about electric pencil sharpeners is that the shavings drawer is NEVER empty, but always bursting at the seams.

I also love having a manual pencil sharpener so much that I carry an extremely cool one in my purse -- you can see it here: http://www.pencity.com/Prismacolor/images/PencilSharpener.jpg Kepler likes to pretend it is some sort of drinking container.

Of course, MY kids like mechanical pencils, which for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would want one of those.

And I think that's all I have to say about that.

Funny Videos said...

This is awesome